For the past 10 days or so, I've been saying, "Oh, he's just going through a thing. He'll go back to his old routine soon." Hmm. Maybe, maybe not. For a while, he was waking up at 6:30, and while I found that moderately rude in comparison to a nice 7:15, this before 6 a.m. bullshit is, well, BULLSHIT. There's a reason why I didn't choose to be a doctor like my mom (despite all the well-meaning semi-strangers who never ceased to ask, "Are you gonna be a doctor like your mommy when you grow-up?" and also never ceased to fail to hide their mild disappointment when I said, "NO!")-- I don't fancy waking at the ass-crack of dawn. Now, that said, I was also never one of those people who could sleep til noon; in fact, I sleep really lightly in the morning, and once I'm up, I'm up, so I have to do all those delicate, lotus-flower sleeper things like put my eye-mask on and ear plugs in around 5 a.m. lest the noisy neighbors, garbage truck, etc. wake me from my beauty slumber. Back in the good old days (pre-baby), I used to sleep from about 11 to about 8, and it was PERFECT. And, then, of course, Chickie came, and that was that. Oh dear, this post is totally fucking boring-- who gives a shit about my sleep patterns?? (But really quickly-- I had this friend-- who was really a friend of a friend but ended up becoming a friend-- anyway-- and she once scolded me for leaving a party at 12:30 a.m., and I was like, "you know, I just need to get to bed" and she was like, "Oh, yeah, you're a morning person," and I was like, "No, I'm NOT a morning person; I just want to go to bed," and she was like, "Yeah, but you're not a night person, right?" and was totally obsessed with trying to classify me as a certain type of circadian rhythm PERSON. I guess this story doesn't really make sense unless you know this person and her obsession with classifying people in general...)
So, on to the more (but not all that much more) interesting info-- we saw another home daycare yesterday morning, and it was in many ways quite opposite from the Brookline one we saw on Thursday night. The place we saw yesterday was GORGEOUS-- this big, old victorian home on a dead-end street at the Roslindale side of the Arboretum. The house had tons and tons of wide, open space, and once Chickie got over his initial cling-on phase (the poor little dude was drooling like a pug and screaming on and off all day, so I'm guessing his teeth were really bugging him-- that and he was farting with such force and volume that I really didn't believe Dan when he denied making those sounds and smells), he was chasing the other kids around. Fabulous. The woman who runs the place takes the kids outside every day and does tons of activities and serves exactly the kind of food that I give Chickie. Wonderful.
The downside is that I didn't totally click with this woman. She's this really bizarre blend of high-strung and California-quirky, and I felt like she talked really fast and seemed a bit flighty and almost spazzy. Considering that Dan and I are wicked high-strung, I think Chickie would really benefit from being around someone mellow, and the Brookline woman was suuuuuper mellow. I have no doubt in my mind that Chickie would be happy at this place-- he'd clearly be well cared for and would have a lot of fun, and what's interesting is that I talked to another JP Mom who just started sending her kid there, and she also said that she didn't completely click with the woman but feels great about sending her kid there because it seems like a great place. And just because you're not BFF with the provider, it doesn't mean that it's not an excellent situation for the kid. And form personal experience, being BFF with the provider adds other complications...
What would be ideal is putting the Brookline woman in the Roslindale situation, so clearly, both daycares have a lot going for them. The Brookline place is very small and kind of a dump (albeit cozy), and I think it could get crazy with so many kids there, but the woman there is super kind and mellow. We'll see.
And I'm supposed to go to the gym this morning and move my sluggish ass, but I can't seem to get there. It's that time of year when I start wondering if this'll be the last beautiful day, so perhaps I should go stroll around JP and soak in some sun while I can.
1 comment:
Hey! Sorry Anand is waking up so early...it sucks when they go through these random sleep cycle changes. I am like you...I have my earplugs and eye mask handy, but if the stars aren't aligned, I can't sleep. Sounds like the options continue to roll in for daycare. I REALLY hope you find a great fit soon. Sounds like you are keeping things in perspective and staying upbeat!! I'll call you soon :)
Post a Comment