The good news is that the daycare crisis has been SOLVED. We saw Roslindale Friends Childcare on Monday morning and loved it right away. The place is really warm, mellow, and laid-back, and it kinda has the feel of a family daycare in a center environment. Chickie was clearly at home as well-- he was crawling everywhere and smiling and flirting with everyone! Definitely a good sign. The teachers all stopped to say hi and all smiled at/played with Chickie, and everyone just seemed really kind and genuinely friendly. After scouring for info about the center on JP Moms, the only negative feedback I got was that sometimes the snacks aren't all that healthy-- goldfish, nutrigrain bars, etc. Please, if that's the biggest complaint people have, the place is clearly fantastic. A freaking nutrigrain bar a couple times a week isn't going to make Chickie grow a freaking third eye, and if I decide to become an all-organic, sugar-free Nazi, I can provide his own snacks. I gave them a check this afternoon, so this shit is DONE. What a relief.
We decided to not even go see Arc en Ciel. Some folks were like, "It's great, the teachers are great, and my kid loves it," but I got WAY too much sketchy feedback. It's hard to know what's true and what's not, but some of the shit I heard is NOT COOL at all, and I know that I'd always wonder about it if I decided to send Chickie there. The decision to leave your child in someone else's care is a tough one to make, and you have to feel very secure in it, and there's no way I could sit there and wonder if sketchy shit was happening at his daycare.
The bad news is that this poor child is still sleeping really, really badly. Last night was actually a lot better, and I fed him around 1 a.m. and again around 5:30. he was crying a bit at 4 or so, but he got himself back to sleep. Thankfully, after his 5:30 feeding, he slept til 7:30 or so, so that was nice.
But please, this is bullshit. This is what it was like when he was 6 months old, for crying out loud (yes, literally). Now, each night, I go to sleep wondering what the hell is going to happen and having no real idea what's in store for me, and I hate that feeling. It was really fabulous when we were in a good routine of nursing once around 3 a.m. and waking up around 7:15-- that was super easy. Now, I'm walking around like a zombie and literally crashing into the wall (don't ask). I even put the cereal in the fridge yesterday. Insane. Needless to say, much of the progress I had made with regards to finding myself and regaining independence has gone out the window, since I'm way too tired to work out and now find myself sleeping when he sleeps during the day because I'm too tired to do anything else. (And, no, I'm not pregnant-- no freaking way, dude).
And guess what? I have plugged ducts in my sad left boob. AGAIN. If I had a dime for every time I've gotten plugged ducts in the last 14 months, I'd be a rich lady on the beach in Hawaii.
But for now, yes, the big crisis in solved. Now, if Chickie would only start sleeping well again...
3 comments:
okay, seriously? There are actually people out there that think goldfish are bad for you? Come on, I try to buy whole grain and organic when I can, but let's get real about goldfish or nutri-grain bars. There are SOOOOO much worse things kids could be eating/drinking. Kids need to be kids too and I think that means eating kid food and not health food store food 24/7(just had to get that off my chest...some people are truly a bit nuts, i think). Anyway, congrats on finding such an awesome place for Anand. It sounds like he will be really happy there...and I'm sure that makes mommy and daddy happy too :) Keep your chin up with this sleep stuff. It sounds tough, but I'm sure it is just a horrible phase...I had to laugh at your comment about being pregnant. I'm sure that's the last thing you are thinking about now, when you already get NO sleep :) I hope you feel better and let me know if I can do ANYTHING to help! Maybe you can get in a workout this weekend if Dan is home? Sounds like you need some "me" time!
PS- I don't mean to say that it being a "phase" makes it any easier on you. I know how helpless you must feel and how never-ending this must seem! Call me if you need to talk/vent :)
Hey-
Happy Anniversary, first off!
Secondly, I'm so glad that you guys found a daycare that you're comfortable with. It sounds like it's the best of both worlds - the reliability and consistency of a center-based program, with the warmth and intimacy of a home-based program. Good for you!
I'm sorry to hear the dude is keeping you up. I hear he started walking a little, though, so maybe he's just burning more calories during the day and getting hungrier at night? Or maybe he just likes torturing you. (hehe - I actually spelled that as "torchering" the first time - like he's setting you on fire or something). Anyway, I hope he gets over it soon... cause Mama needs her sleep!
Much love to you,
Sophia
Post a Comment