I have to give a HUGE shout out to dearest Kat for completeing her first half-marathon on Sunday! This amazing woman battled back from painful shint-splints and decided to participate in this race just over a week ago... only to finish with a fantastic time! Running 13.1 miles is quite a feat, but running 13.1 10-minute miles?? Are you kidding me? Freaking rad. Kat, you are a real inspiration!!
All of my updates aren't nearly as interesting, but here they are (I'll be quick-- I know brevity is NOT my strong suit... as my dear dad would say, "OK, start in the middle...")
1) Remember that Committe on Discipline hearing a week ago? Well, the good news is that the Committee found the guy responsible (i.e. they found him to be in violation of the school's sexual misconduct statement). That's a big relief, especially after the three-ring circus that was the hearing. Well, the bad news is that the guy got a year's probation and has to write some bullshit essay about what consent is. I sort of feel like the Committee said, "OK, we think you did something wrong, but we don't think that what you did wrong is THAT big of a deal." I am still nauseated by all of it, but my boss keeps reminding me just how far the school has come around these issues... I know she's right, but it's hard to keep pushing this big stone up this big old freaking hill.
2) We picked a doula and I'm THRILLED. We ended up going with the woman I talked about in my last post. We interviewed another woman last week as well, and she was lovely, but ultimately, we felt like the first woman was a better fit. I'm totally psyched and feeling more and more positive as I think down the road towards the birth of my baby girl (yeah, it's SO awesome to type that!)
3) I'm trying to decide if Chickie and I should accompany Dan on a work trip to California at the end of May. He has to go to a 2-day conference in San Francisco (aka Heaven on Earth), and some of my dearest, dearest friends in the world live out there. Of course, I never get to see them, and with This One coming, who knows when I'll get a chance to go out there again? Well, here's the catch-- I will be getting great with child at that point, and it will be hard to be TOTALLY on my own for 3 days and nights with a crazy toddler and be pregnant and jet-lagged and everything. If I were going on my own, or if I weren't pregnant, it'd be a total no-brainer, but... I'm on the fence about it, because I actually think it would be really freaking exhausting. Dunno.
3 comments:
You should go....it'll be hard...but you'll have dan on the plane and friends on the ground....just enlist their help.
THANK YOU!!! I am so lucky to have you and Dan in my life supporting me! You guys are awesome!
Re: the other news, I am so psyched that you picked your doula and you went with the first one. It seemed like she was a fantastic fit from what you said about her before. I have a really good feeling about the way things are going to happen for you this time. It's amazing how much less scary it is and more in control you feel the second time, no?
Sorry to hear about the results of the committee hearing. it sounds like the action was kind of a joke. that is pretty awful. i mean, it's like saying well some people are still racist, but look how far we've come. as if that's supposed to make it okay? anyway, it can only get better from here on out with you helping to educate the people there at MIT. :)
As far as SF goes, it is a tough call. You are one STRONG mama, that's for sure. but, only you know your body well enough to know how you will feel. either way, you should totally go on a 2nd honeymoon out there once you have "this one." i'd be happy to help out with the kids!!
i'm starting to lean against going to SF. i do have some great friends there, but they all have to work all day and are only available in the evenings... when i will have a sleeping child in a hotel room. he'll probably konk out at like 6 p.m., and i won't be able to leave him (and i'll have to tiptoe around the freaking hotel room). so... i'm starting to feel like perhaps it doesn't make the most sense to go.
that said, i think we WILL take a little baby-moon this summer and get away for a couple days, and i'm sure chickie's grandparents will chomp at the bit at the chance to hang out with him for a couple days! but we will definitely get away for a little bit before we head into the crazy newborn tunnel again. thanks for your offer to help out, kat!!
Post a Comment