Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Like I said, mad props to single moms...

You know who you are. And you freaking rule.

The past few days really haven't been bad, but they've been a GRIND. I always complain about how little Dan actually does around the house, but now that he's out of town, the little things he DOES do really add up. The biggest contribution he makes (logistically) to my day is that he makes the coffee. We have one of those fancy-schmancy Italian espresso machines, the kind that I think is a bit snotty to have but embrace it with both arms because it makes me live again every morning in a most lovely and delicious way. It makes really freaking good coffee. Well, that is, unless I make it. I don't make the coffee often enough to really do it well, so it took me 7 tries yesterday morning to pull a shot that didn't taste like burned mud. Today, I drank the burned mud after 2 tries, mainly because Chickie decided to have a huge but thankfully short-lived tantrum about whether he was going to put on red socks or blue socks. Having a tantrum before Mommy has caffeine is a BIG fucking no-no, kid. Have I not taught you anything??

I thought that I was going to be super productive this week after Chickie was in bed considering that I wouldn't have adult company, but once that kid is in his crib and I've actually eaten dinner myself, it's after 8:30, and then I clean up the kitchen and pack his lunch for daycare for the next day and try to get shit together for work, and by that point, I am TOAST. Done.

But we are over halfway there now (no, I'm totally not counting hours; shame on you for thinking it) and 3 out of 4 evenings (usually the dicey-est times) are done. Today, a friend of ours had a few of us moms and toddlers over for later afternoon playtime and a take-out dinner, so that was really fun, except the kids were SO wired up from being inside all day due to the super crappy weather that they were all bouncing off the wall long before the pizza and chicken fingers arrived. Doing that kind of thing is really fun, but it's always really tiring! What can you do...

In other news, it looks like This One is growing well-- apparently, my belly measured 2.5 cm larger than it did 2 weeks ago, so that sense of, "Wow, I suddenly feel bigger and more encumbered and my hips hurt" actually makes sense considering that the baby has grown pretty rapidly in the past couple weeks. I also have to say again that this midwife is AMAZING-- SO AMAZING. She basically gave me a nutrition lesson and I came out of there with a bunch of really good ideas about how to get more protein, calcium, and vitamins into my diet. So helpful! She is really a fabulous resource, and I'm just sad that I only found her more than halfway through my second pregnancy. Oh, well; better late than never.

So, it will be really fabulous and a big relief when all the birds are back in the nest. And, like I said, I don't know how single parents do it!

1 comment:

Kat said...

I am so glad the week is almost over for you and that it wasn't as bad as you thought. You are one tough mama and can definitely do the single mom thing like a pro, when needed. And, as you said, it is good for a marriage to appreciate all the little things that your spouse does that make a big difference. Having to do everything yourself makes you realize how much you need and love your spouse, which is a definite positive!

I know what you mean about not getting much done after bedtime and clean-up. I plant myself in front of the tv and veg out!! You need that after caring for a toddler by yourself.

I am SOOO happy that the pregnancy continues to go well. I can't wait to see how much your belly has grown! How thrilling!