Monday, September 29, 2008

Proud, proud mama

Insert gigantic sigh of relief here. He did it.

I should preface this by saying that when I left Chickie at his new daycare for a 2-hour trial run on Friday, the drop-off was less than ideal-- he wailed and got all red and reached out for me, but I had to smile and say, "Bye-bye; I love you" and turn around and walk out. Needless to say, I felt like a TOTAL asshole and had to call Dan right away and ask if I'd done the right thing... but thankfully, upon my arrival to pick him up, I was informed that Chickie had been pretty much fine once I'd left and hadn't cried at all. Of course, he totally lost his shit and started wailing again when I came to pick him up, but that's just how he is.

Anyway, I was bracing myself for another wailing fest this morning, but he was really fine-- just quiet and probably not quite sure what was going to happen. I had a feeling that he'd be OK but wouldn't eat and wouldn't sleep, but this is where I was wrong... not only did he not shed ONE tear all day long, but he also napped ON A FREAKING MAT (who knew?? I didn't even ask about possible head bonking...) and ate most of his lunch. And you know, I didn't even ask how he ate (if someone fed him or if he fed himself-- if daycare is a blackbox of awesomeness, so be it)-- I was really too speechless. I think the center director thinks I'm kind of a dumb-dumb, because I was like, "He ate? He ate food? He ate his lunch? His lunch is all gone? The lunch he was supposed to eat?" Uh-huh. Hello, anybody home? And then I was like, "He napped? He slept? Here? On the mat? He napped?" Dumb-dumb. As in, had no words. He had a fabulous day and was totally dreamy. The teachers said that no one could have guessed that this was his first day. I am so unbelievably proud of my sweet, sweet little boy.

And, of course, he had a COMPLETE meltdown when he saw me when I came to pick him up. But, you know, that's just my Chickie.

The bummer is that the kid spiked a fever tonight, so no daycare for him tomorrow. Bummer. The guy who does the dance class is coming tomorrow, and I know Chickie is eager to show off his new booty-shaking moves... you think I'm kidding, but I'm not. This baby is shaking his ass like freaking Beyonce these days.

So, yes, despite the bailout bust and the Dow crash, I do feel like all is right with the world tonight.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Poor chickie...fevers are no fun! I hope he gets better pronto!! I'm so glad that you are relieved and feeling good. He is an AMAZING little boy and you are an AMAZING mom!