Well, today was Chickie's last day at Laura's. She first started taking care of him nearly a year ago when he was 15 weeks old. He was smiling, but he couldn't roll over, sit up, or really communicate in any way besides crying and smiling. Now, he's practically running all over the place yelling "doggie! ball! CAAAAAAH!"
Laura's house was his second home. I remember when he first started going there and wouldn't sleep or take a bottle, and I was so frantic that I'd have to quit my job because he wouldn't eat or sleep if I weren't there, but now, he shrieks with delight when the car pulls up in front of her house. He runs right up to Jack and leans his forehead against Jack, and Jack goes, "maaaaaa!" and plants a kiss on his head. No joke. Anand started eating well at Laura's house, and it was Laura who first fed him with a spoon! I remember getting a voicemail from Laura one day at work and bracing myself for less-than-great news, but she was so excited that she could barely get the words out when she said that Anand had eaten food from a spoon. Sure, the situation wasn't perfect (what is?) but, like I've said before, the decision to leave your child in someone else's care is one of the hardest decisions a parent can make, and despite the issues that arose, I always knew that my little boy was loved and cared for and nurtured. I really do think that she loves him just about as much as you can love a child that's not your own.
Also, Laura became my friend. We're not all that alike in certain respects, but we have little boys born 2.5 weeks apart, and we navigated and bush-whacked through our first year as moms together. When both our husbands were working late, Chickie and I would sometimes stay over there for dinner and order from JP Seafood (the delivery guy was totally confused when he saw me at her house) and hang out. We ended slogging through a lot of the annoying, mundane, tiresome everyday stuff together, and I felt like we became such a part of each others' lives. Often, this was a bit annoying, but really, it was comfortable and familiar and safe.
Tonight I noticed that it's starting to get dark earlier. She made a fabulous photo album for us (adorable pictures of the boys through the year) and bought Chickie this toy truck that he plays with constantly at her house, and she helped me carry all the stuff out to the car (I had to pack up all of Chickie's extra clothes, diapers, etc.) The boys leaned towards each other and did their cute little kissing routine. I really do believe that they love each other, and I hope they'll always be friends. I know transitions are part of life, but I've never been good at them. Ever. I know that going to the new daycare will be a good thing for Chickie for a bunch of reasons, but I looked inside her house as I was getting in the car tonight, and I couldn't help but feel sad. Will these new teachers know him and love him like Laura does? Will he crawl into their laps and snuggle into them when he's tired?
Yes, yes; I know it's all good. Let's see how it goes.
3 comments:
Hey-
What a mix of emotions this must be! It's going to be a hard transition for all involved - there will never be another relationship the same as what Chickie had with Laura and Jack, but he'll develop new relationships and make new milestones at his new daycare, and it'll be great. He's got a lot of confidence and personality, and he'll do well wherever he goes!
That's such a hard thing to deal with. I ended up putting Ari back in his first daycare, even though it's twice as expensive and not nearly as convenient as the one by my work. It's really hard to find quality daycare that you feel comfortable with. Where did you decide to put Anand?
Post a Comment