I actually forgot once piece of the OB/midwife debate that's been going on in my head-- I have been feeling less than satisfied with the care I've been getting at my OB's office. Well, maybe I did include that-- but anyway-- it's been a long day. So, I have always loved my own doctor, but because schedules are so hectic, I haven't seen him since I was 9 weeks pregnant. The other docs in the practice are less than fabulous-- they're clinically fine, but I feel like I need more comprehensive care than, "OK, everything looks great; do you have any questions?" Yes, I'm pregnant for the second time and don't have 101 questions like I did the first time, but I still do have questions and concerns. Especially earlier on when I was still nursing, I was concerned about my nutrition and overall health, but no one ever asked me about any of that. My OB knew I was still nursing and said that he thought that things would resolve themselves without a major weaning effort (true), but no one asked me how I was doing in terms of my efforts to eat and sleep and take care of myself now that I have a child to take care of. It's not rocket science-- just good healthcare. I am a TOTAL snob about healthcare and know what good healthcare is, and I have been feeling like I deserve a little bit better.
So, I had always thought that my own doctor was the exception to all of this, but when I saw him today, he was super nice and sweet as he always is, but he was clearly in a bit of a hurry. It wasn't obvious; it was pretty subtle, but I knew it. I don't know, something just doesn't feel great. I really feel like switching practices to the midwifery group would be a good way for me to do, but annoyingly, I called the administrative line on Tuesday to see if they will accept me as a new patient at 20+ weeks and haven't heard back yet. The outgoing message did say that it may take a couple days to return phone calls, so I guess I should just be patient. The midwifes work out of different community health centers in the city, so I could just call up the JP health center tomorrow and ask if I can make an appointment and just bypass the administrative line-- perhaps I'll do that.
Also, we were supposed to meet with a prospective doula tonight, but she had to reschedule our meeting since a mom she's working with went into labor. Nothing you can do about that! I had been looking forward to thinking and talking with her about what I can do to get better care, so I'm a little bummed about it, but I know it's all good. I think I just need to trust my gut and call the health center tomorrow and see if I can figure this out.
1 comment:
Let us know how it goes. You definitely need to trust your gut. If you felt like the doc was in a hurry, then I'm sure he did something to make you think that. I don't think it's asking too much to have people give in depth care, even with your 2nd child and even with an uncomplicated pregnancy. Sorry to hear your doula couldn't make it. i know that must be disappointing. Now that you have done this before, I'm sure there are so many things you want to be more prepared for and talk about. It will be interesting to see how it goes, but, no matter what, you are going to rock labor and delivery! i am in awe that you were unmedicated the 1st time...seriously!
Post a Comment