Man, that Google sure is smart... I *heart* the Internets. I log into my friendly blog here in the hotel lobby in San Juan, and the options at the top of the screen are in Spanish... i love it.
So, vacation so far is good. Lots of sleep-- definitely a luxury. The first few days were pretty tiring because Chickie wouldn't eat anything except french fries and crackers, so he was on a permanent sugar-high-crash rollercoaster, which basically meant that he was either jumping on the bed or having a tantrum for 2 days! It was fine, though, because we went to the beach and swam in the ocean and all that good stuff. I have to upload seriously cute pictures of my boy playing in the sand in his little swim suit and knock-off Target Crocs!
Now, I know I can't complain, not with a foot of snow on the ground in dear old JP, but it's supposed to rain for the rest of the trip, so after all is said and done, we will have had only 2 sunny days... but I know, that's 2 sunny days that everyone else at home didn't have, so I know I'm lucky, but man, if I had known that it was going to rain all week, I never would have let my pale ass out of the sun! I know, I know; my skin thanks me. Sorry to always complain about SOMETHING...
Being away from home has made me remember how much I like to travel. I tend to be a bit of a homebody and crave familiar environments, but some of the most interesting experiences of my life have happened while traveling. It's funny, because over the past several years, Dan and I either didn't have money or couldn't take time off of work (probably both) and therefore didn't travel at all, and now that we have a kid and want another one, who knows when we'll be able to travel again. I can see how some people choose to not have kids and instead see the world and explore new things... but all in all, I think I'd choose my little boy :)
OK, I should shut the computer down... Dan banished me from the hotel room because he thought that Chickie would actually eat if I weren't there, and it's been nearly half an hour, so I think I've used up my free Mommy time.
4 comments:
my 5yr old had the knock-off crocs. i think they're called lil' veggies or something anus? maybe that was the k-mart brand...
you're not always complaining! at least, i can tell that you're not like that in person. you know? i can only imagine what people must think of me based on the shit i say on my blog...
re: the fact that chickie may actually eat when you're gone... WTF is up with that!? my 2.5yr old daughter is like that - not necessarily re: eating, but she actually BEHAVES when i'm not around. sucks! but i guess it just goes to show that i wasn't the only one to totally take advantage of my mother's good nature every waking hour of every days...
oh, and we took Nate to cabo san lucas when he was 2.5yrs old and i was 33 wks pregnant with his sister. it was the worst trip of my life (especially considering the amount of time it takes to fly to mexico from DC!) because i was so pregnant and i just couldn't enjoy myself (I COULDN'T DRINK!) but we had planned the trip on early jan and didn't find out i was pregnant until LATE jan. MEH.
sorry for making my comment longer than your post, but shit you say always gets me thinkin'. enjoy the rest of your travels! :)
That is a totally legitimate complaint regarding rain on a vacation! Yes, it's warmer and sunnier there, but you are paying to be there, so you want it to be for the whole time! Hopefully the rain won't be a big deal though. It rained every day we were in Antigua, but luckily, it didn't last long (and we didn't even realize it was raining half the time, because it felt like mist from the pool). So maybe it will just be like that. I was scared when I read the forecast too, but then was pleasantly surprised.
You are so right that it seems a big conflict: travel vs. kids. I do hear so many people without kids say, "Yeah, I just want to travel" or people who waited longer to have kids saying, "We wanted to travel for a few years first before we had kids." It seems like we often do look at them as opposing desires or lots in life. Of course, it IS a lot harder to travel with kids, I am sure! Logistically, energy-wise, and financially. But I am happy to see you doing it and enjoying it! Because I want to keep traveling when we have our son too and it's always encouraging to see that yes, it is possible! (even if you have to delay your trip a little at first)
Have a FANTASTIC time for the rest of your trip! I wish you many more sunny days, or beautiful light sunny rainbow sprinkles, if you must have rain. :)
MOFM-- yeah, i think kids reserve all their bad behavior for mom. he definitely eats better when i'm not there, mainly because he can't refuse food with the excuse "no! cuddle mama!" once i leave, he knows that it's all business, and he figures out pretty quickly that it's time to eat. i actually do complain a lot in person, but whatever :) i think blogs are pretty much for venting and complaining, and if people don't like that, well, fuck them, right? i have tried to be one of those people who is all about joy and bliss and shit, and it just ain't me. i think you know what i mean! and sorry your cabo trip was not exactly dream vaca... kids are TOUGH traveling companions at this age, and when you can't drink to take the edge off, it SUCKS. we are staying in the hotel where the pina colada was supposedly invented, and i am sans alcohol like you were in cabo...
tara-- yes, you read my mind exactly-- i am paying mucho dinero to be here, and i certainly did NOT pay for rain!! tuesday and wednesday weren't all that bad-- showers here and there (i think and HOPE today will be like that), but yesterday sucked-- LOTS of rain. dan and i managed to get to old san juan for the couple dry hours in the p.m., though, and taht was nice. about traveling with kids-- it depends on the kid, of course, but traveling with kids can kinda suck. well, i take that back-- i think you go into a tunnel when you have young children, and you come out of the tunnel and re-enter the world when your kids are between 3 and 5, i think. when you have a tiny baby (under 6-8 months or so and not mobile), traveling and going out are easy-- the baby is strapped to you and will just nurse and sleep and is low-maintenance. once they're mobile, it's a whole new game, and once they throw tantrums and want what they want when they want it OR ELSE, it becomes harder. of coruse, it depends on the kid, but dan and i have said, "wow, this will be a lot easier when our kids are 4" a lot this week! things shift a lot when your kids are really young, and with time, you get to do what you want to do again. thanks for your good weather wishes... i can see some blue sky SLOWLY making its way over here, so i am cautiously optimistic...
SO glad you guys got to get away! The rain is a total bummer, but at least it is a change of pace - somewhere new. I can't wait to see the beach pics and the cute new suit. Travel is hard with kids, and expensive too; when they are young they don't take in much but you still have to pay for airfare.... We did it a couple of times with the help of loving relatives who came and stayed with the children; it usually took us several days to just get used to not having the kids there, and then the trip was over! Now, as a grandmother, I am 'on call' and ready to serve!
Post a Comment