Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beans, beans, spilling everywhere...

OK, I think many of you know by now, but I'm pregnant. Just over 15 weeks now. I never feel safe talking about it because I am a crazy superstitious Indian lady (and grew up in a house where my feminist physician mom talked about the evil eye-- have fun with that one...) but I figured I'd just get it out there. THERE. So, yeah, no pina coladas for me in PR, even though we stayed in the hotel where they were supposedly invented.

It's great and weird and exciting and almost a non-event in some ways. When I was pregnant with Chickie, I thought about being pregnant every second, and honestly, that wasn't all that great since I was pretty nervous a lot of the time. This time, I often forget that I'm pregnant-- up until this week, I would have to be reminded by the relentless, nagging nausea that decided to visit me for about 8 hours a day. So, emotionally, it's been easier this time around-- much less anxiety. Physically, it's been much harder-- there's no way in hell to get enough rest, and forget about eating well because I was really just trying not to barf most of the time. But thankfully, I think I'm really turning a corner now and starting to feel more normal.

So, yes, that's why I went on that night-weaning campaign after Christmas-- no way in hell was I going to breastfeed my toddler 5 times a day while trying to grow a baby and a placenta! The good news is that it looks like we're making progress towards dropping the before bed nursing... Daddy and "Goodnight Moon" have been sufficient distractions. Dunno what I'm going to do tomorrow night when Dan stays out late playing Dungeons & Dragons (yeah, you read that right), but we'll see. I thought my milk was supposed to turn salty and gross between week 12-16, but I guess that either hasn't happened, or my kooky kid doesn't care. I keep thinking that he'll miraculously wean himself, but that's probably not happening... we'll see. I just want him weaned significantly before this baby comes because I don't want him to totally freak out and demand to nurse 24/7 when I'm trying to do just that with a newborn.

It's amazing how much I had forgotten about what it's like to be pregnant. I remembered feeling tired at the beginning and exhausted and enormous at the end (with back pain all the way through), but I forgot about awesome first-trimester acne (totally PMS/9th grade from hell), insane hormone-induced crying fits about nothing at all, the constant stuffy nose at night, and, my personal favorite-- insomnia.

Here's the big question-- boy or girl? We find out in 2 weeks. Any guesses? Can't wait to find out.

7 comments:

Kat said...

Yay! Congrats (again!) I am hoping for a girl for you guys...keep me posted :)

By the way, I also forgot about the 1st trimester acne. Yuck. I hope that is long gone for you!

Sophia said...

Baby baby baby!
Much love to you!
See you soon.

Whitney said...

Boy!

Whitney said...

Though, it would be so cool if you had a girl, cuz our girls would be almost exactly the same age!

Monsoon Mama said...

thanks, ladies! sadly, the so-called first trimester acne hasn't managed to completely leave-- YUCK.

whit, yes, wouldn't it be cool if we had little girls born 6 weeks apart? let's see!

Tara M said...

Yay, yay, yay!! So happy for you--Congratulations again! My guess for your baby is going to be based on the Chinese Zodiak thing, since it's worked for a few. So, compare the age you were when you conceived and the number of the month you conceived in...both odd or both even? BOY! One odd and one even? GIRL!! So tell me the conception details so I can make my guess official for the blog-records! (although my gut says "girl" now too) You're finding out at 17 weeks then? I am sooo happy for you! And hopefully all that first trimester ickiness will give way, and you can have some time to remember your pregnant by the fun things, not just the annoying things! (haha--the little blogger word verification for me to type in is "babions". It reminds me of bambinos, baby. But apparently "babion" means "baboon" according to some online dictionary...Ah, Blogger.)

Monsoon Mama said...

tara-- well, i was 31 when i conceived, and i conceived in december, so that's a 12. so, according to this theory, it's a girl! and FWIW, i am feeling much more excited and positive these days... i went shopping for a certain baby-to-be this weekend and got all excited about all things new baby :)