Friday, October 10, 2008

On Strike, Part 2

All the teething shit is totally out of hand. My poor sweet thing had about 6 full-body screaming fits today-- I had to put him in the middle of the living room floor away from furniture or toys so that he wouldn't hurt himself when he thrashed away. Gooooood times. He even had a fit on the concrete outside the cafe when I went to get a freaking sandwich for lunch. Of course, he got right up and started running around the parking lot, cackling manically and screaming "no, no NOOOOO!" I was that idiotic mother running after him screaming his name as he ran around the parking lot laughing his ass off at me. I even took him to the doctor today to make sure he didn't have an ear infection (everyone assumed he did when I described his behavior), but no, it's just his molars and a little cold. Have I mentioned the thick rivers of green snot that run rampant at daycare? Whatever-- what can you do...

So, of course, he's not really eating much, but the big thing is that this child CANNOT nurse. He's been having trouble on and off for about a week, but things had started to get better over the past couple days. I guess he's in so much pain today that he doesn't want to nurse at all-- all that sucking aggravates the back of his mouth, right where those freaking beasts are busting through his gums.

You know what? It's all good. Yeah, you read that right. If this is it, this is it. I don't want to fight this fight anymore-- it's just too damn hard and exhausting. I think in an ideal world, I'd just cut down to twice a day (first thing in the morning and right before bed at night), but to be honest, if I had a choice between sticking to what we were doing (4-6 times a day) or weaning completely, I would wean. Insane, huh? When he's had trouble before, I've felt so, so sad at the thought of weaning, and I always knew that I wasn't ready because I felt no relief whatsoever at the idea of not nursing anymore. Now, when I think about weaning, yes, I do feel a little sad, but man, I see FREEDOM in my future.

I know I don't have to decide anything right now, but I guess I'm just OK with whatever happens. And, the thing is, if I did decide to wean or really cut back on nursing, his current strike could be an opportunity to do that. We'll see how it goes. He'll be 16 months old in a week, and the idea of #2 is coming up again and again, so if this is the beginning of the end, well, it is what it is.

And since I love "High Fidelity", stay tuned for my "Top 5 Things I Can't Wait to Do Once I Stop Breastfeeding"...

2 comments:

Kat said...

I can't wait to see that list! I'm sure it will make me laugh! Sorry about all of Chickie's difficulties with eating, teething, etc! I know you must feel torn about the idea of weaning. Nursing 4-6 times a day does sound tiring and god knows you deserve some rest! I hope that something falls into place soon and peace returns to your house! ...and I totally can commiserate with you about the thrashing toddler on the ground or running away from you in front of tons of watching eyes! My little boy is in total tantrum mode lately too. So fun!

Libby said...

Last summer I was obsessed with my wisdom teeth coming in. I "thought" I had an ear ache (like everyone told you about Chickie) and a nasal problem BUT it was my wisdom teeth coming in. All I kept thinking during all the pain was, "Oh my god, this is what babies must fee like when their teeth come in." Here are some things I did to releave the pain. I lived and ate a ton of popsicles, they really helped with teh pain OR milkshakes. Basically anything really cold. Secondly, don't ask me why, but rinsing my mouth with salt water helped. Someone's mom told me to try this. So I did that and ate a lot of saltine crackers. Maybe this will help you, I thought I would try ;) Miss you!
Libs