Sunday, October 5, 2008

Good news: input and output

Last night, I wrote this long, detailed post last night about everything that Chickie ate since Friday night (Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast, and Saturday dinner). I even described each of the three poops he made yesterday in great detail. Then, better judgment kicked in, and I decided to spare you those details :)

But yes, he's eating again-- well, he ate well yesterday, but today has been a different story thus far. But at least we know that he hasn't forgotten how, AND that the child can still poop. Considering he hadn't pooped since Tuesday morning, he had to make up for lost time, so I guess 3 in one day isn't that surprising, right? Yeah, I know you really want to know ALL about it...

Friday was the worst of it-- he stopped nursing, too, so he was basically getting nothing in terms of calories. The therapist from Early Intervention came to see him (she comes every other Friday), and I was so glad to see her because I was in a total STATE over my seemingly starving child (yes, I was in full drama mode). She is super sweet and lovely, but sometimes I wonder if she doesn't quite get what I'm telling her... she came over with a cub of whipped cream cheese, food coloring, and veggie sticks, ready to make food butterflies. She proceeded to mix the food coloring with the cream cheese to create "paint" for Chickie to spread on tortillas as a sort of food play. It's a cute idea, and it would have been great for a child who has sensory issues with food-- not so great for a child who wants to eat and is interested in food but then screams when anything gets in his mouth. Needless to say, I have a ton of unused colored cream cheese sitting on a plate in my fridge. YUM. Those colored Oreos always scared the crap out of me-- do you really want to eat radioactive orange Oreos on Halloween or BLUE Oreos for Easter? GROSS.

The most frustrating part of her visit was that she didn't really know anything about kids' refusal to eat with teething. I was kinda like, "Um, isn't it your job to know about that stuff?" Interesting.

No comments: