Thursday, February 12, 2009

Really not going

Anywhere. Except perhaps to sick baby hell.

Well, I take that back-- he's actually doing a lot better today, and I'm so thankful for that. Seeing your child feel like total crap for 3 days is just no good. Thankfully, Chickie's fever never came back after that bedtime dose of motrin last night, and he actually slept well last night (but woke up screaming at 6 a.m.-- guess you can't have everything). Now what's left of the bug is a bad cold-- the nurse practitioner in the pedi's office said that this would most likely happen, so at least we know what the hell is going on with him (i.e. no scary shit).

As he starts to feel better, he's getting more and more angry and frustrated-- he must be getting stir-crazy and bored, and we also have had to start laying down the law a bit more (e.g. no more crackers for breakfast-- when he was really sick, we would just give him anything he wanted to eat just to get him to eat SOMETHING), so all of this is resulting in TANTRUM CITY. I am really starting to lose my patience!

The big bummer is that we really can't go on this vacation. Airline tickets are through the roof now-- $1500 to fly direct, and flights with one stop would translate into 12 hours of door-to-door travel, and that just doesn't make sense. I can't put my sweet little boy through that. And even those flights are ridiculously expensive... so, last night, we had to decide if we were going to fly this morning at 8 a.m. or can the whole thing, and honestly, at 9 p.m. last night, Chickie still hadn't been fever-free for 3 days without medicine, so we couldn't consciously decide to put him on a plane in 11 hours.

In retrospect, it seems like we COULD have gone since he no longer has a fever, but he's still pretty sick, and flying with a stuffed up nose can be really painful, especially for a baby. My mom also reminded me that exposing him to a plane full of germs when he already has a compromised immune system probably isn't a good idea, either, and she has a point. Apparently, I got really sick when I was around Chickie's age right after we went on a trip to India-- I had had a stomach bug, and then we had to fly home, and I caught a cold on the plane. Since I was already sick and run-down, my body couldn't fight off the cold, and I ended up in the hospital for a while-- awful and traumatic for all.

But I'm so bummed. I'm such a warm-weather girl, and warm weather just makes me feel like nothing's really that bad. Nothing really bothers me when it's warm outside-- I can shake anything off and just say "whatever" and let it all go, and I had developed this attitude of, "well, I'm not going to get pissed off about anything because I'm going to be on the beach in 3 days" and all of a sudden, it's hard to not have that to look forward to. Maybe I'm being a big baby-- I know I am, to some extent, because we're amazingly lucky to have even had the chance to go, so I know I shouldn't complain.

But it still totally sucks.

4 comments:

Kat said...

That totally sucks! I am so sorry, you guys! I know how much you were looking forward to that trip!! It sounds like it would have been pretty miserable for all if you had gone down there with Chickie feeling so sick. So, I think you made the right decision, but I know it's disappointing. Maybe this summer you and Dan could go somewhere just the 2 of you (even for a long weekend). I know Robert and I always feel like a million bucks after we do that. We try to do it about once a year. You could even stay close (ie. Vermont or the Cape) and stay at a B and B. Just a thought. I know it's hard to get excited about anything right now. Much love to you guys!

Tara M said...

Kat has some good ideas--or maybe even one of those inexpensive 3 day caribbean all-inclusives to somewhere cheap like the DR or Cancun (I think they have deals that are like $400 per person for 3 days, flight and food included). NOT the same as what you had planned. Not at all. And esp when you need it in the cold weather up here. But, you know.

I am so sorry though. I can only imagine the disappointment, sadness, frustration. And yes, you're lucky to be able to travel, but yes, you have the right to complain when those plans are canceled, so don't feel bad about doing that. I would be so mopey.

I am glad Chickie is feeling better though. I hope the rest of you stay well and maybe you can do something a little out of the ordinary and fun this weekend. But I'm really sorry, Div. :(

Monsoon Mama said...

thanks, ladies :) we are doing better-- yesterday we were sooooo bummed out. but today, we are already thinking about going in a couple weeks. my dad said he would come with us, so that could be fun. we're going to try to find some sort of all-inclusive deal, and it looks like you can get some good deals now because so few people are traveling because of the economy... so, we'll see. thanks so much for your support!

Kat said...

I forgot to mention that I would happily watch Chickie for you if you ever want to do a weekend getaway. I know he is not weaned yet, but when he is...I am more than willing. :)