Yeah, so remember how I said that we were on our way out to our fabu tropical vacation? Ha, ha, well, mother nature had other plans. On Sunday night, my sweet boy came down with a fever, and on Monday, we thought that we'd ride it out and that he'd kick it as the day progressed. The kid is generally pretty tough and robust, and he's only been REALLY sick a handful of times in his nearly 20 months of life.
On Monday, he couldn't nap-- he kept waking up and crying, and finally, I had to go in there and rock him in my arms in the rocking chair just like I used to when he was a tiny baby. He slept a bit on me, but mostly, he just lay there like a big lump as I felt him get hotter and hotter. I decided to take him to the doctor just to get a go-ahead on the trip. When they finally took his temperature, it was 103.9... yikes! He was burning up in my arms and was so unbelievably miserable. My doctor is really cool, and I really trust her (she is an MSW and was a child and family therapist for 8 years before going to med school), and she was basically like, "if he were my kid, I wouldn't go... why don't you wait and see..." So, we waited, and the poor guy wakes up at 4 a.m. shivering with a fever-- so we didn't go.
Tuesday was more of the same, and we ended up taking him back to the doctor in the late afternoon. His fever was still up there, despite having giving him meds on and off throughout the day. The nurse practitioner (like the doctor the day before) said that it's hard to know what's wrong-- could be the start of a bad cold, could be roseola (viral rash), and could be other things... so, she had to rule out a UTI. Well, you can't exactly get a baby to pee in a cup, so she had to catheterize him-- quite possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen. The poor guy was so scared and desperate-- it was really heart-breaking to watch. And after that, his poor little foreskin was so swollen and sensitive that it wouldn't un-retract, and he was just SO uncomfortable (as if he needed something else on top of a raging fever). Seeing your child so sick and so miserable is really, really hard.
Dan and I were up with him more than we weren't last night-- it's like having a new born again-- rocking in the chair, walking all over the house singing songs, up at all hours of the night-- except newborns don't weigh 23 pounds! Just when we thought he was starting to turn a corner tonight, his fever went up again, so we're back to waiting to see what happens.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. What's a girl to do to get a vacation? We're trying to figure out a way to go-- we bought insurance on our plane tickets (best decision ever) but that will only partially defray the cost of getting new tickets since we'd be buying them at the last minute. But we're trying to put aside worries about money and just say "oh, well" and try to go however we can.
Hopefully, the next time I blog, it'll be from the beach... cross your fingers...
1 comment:
Oh, no!!!!!!!!!! I am soooo sorry, Div! Sorry for all the things you mentioned in your post--how poor Chickie is sooo sick, the catheter, no one getting sleep, your very needed vacation...I hope he takes a turn quickly for the better, and that you guys can get your vacation soon (and man, when you do, it'll be that much sweeter because you had to fight that much harder to get it!). I am so so sorry though and my thoughts and prayers and with you guys and Chickie!
Post a Comment