There's a great ER episode called "The Good Fight". It's in season 5, the first of Lucy Knight's 2 seasons (too bad they had to go and bump her off like that, huh?). She and Carter (who was my boyfriend for many, many years-- don't you forget it) search all over Chicago for this guy whose daughter was in a car accident and has a weird rare tissue type and can only receive donated blood from him. It's a fantastic episode. It's the first time you see a glimmer of that adolescent sexual tension between them.
But perhaps I should have titled this post, "The Battle of the Boobies"-- perhaps that would be more accurate. Over the past couple months, I have had problem after problem with nursing, to the point where it's become this big source of anxiety.
But why? SJL was nearly 23 pounds a month ago and in the 94th percentile for weight. The girl is big, strong, happy and thriving. She eats food like a champ when she doesn't nurse well, unlike a certain older brother of hers (and boy did I lose sleep over that shit). We've gotten this far-- over 10 months-- and to many people, this would be a huge accomplishment, but to me, it's just not. And no, this is NOT to say that this amount of time is right or wrong or what or anything-- it has nothing to do with what anyone else chooses. No judgment whatsoever. This is all about some weird, random, hormonal, internal pressure that I'm putting on myself for no rational reason. Yeah, the whole thing is irrational and non-sensical.
Well, I won't go so far as to say I'm nuts, but I will say that nursing the baby has become a source of anxiety for me, and I do feel like I'm fighting a battle with something that just shouldn't be fought with. The thing is, as much as I feel like I'm in fight-or-flight mode these days with general cortisol fatigue, I always seem to choose to FIGHT and never to FLEE. Perhaps this is my problem. And oh yeah, I have some issues with letting go. Just some.
It all started a couple months ago when, seemingly out of the blue, I lost my letdown reflex for a couple days. I always have letdowns-- always-- so when other moms said, "oh, I often don't feel a letdown" my response is, "nope, I always do-- I didn't only when I was pregnant" (NO, don't get any ideas.) And then, I started to psych myself out, and the more I thought about it and worried about it, the more that letdown vanished. Remember that Sex & the City episode when Samantha loses her orgasm? Good times.
So, I freaked out about it, and things eventually sorted themselves out. And it happened again a week later, and pretty much on and off for over 2 months. Funny thing is that I never had problems when on vacation-- hmm...
So, I changed things up. I started dropping feedings-- after all, a big girl like SJL doesn't need to nurse 9-11 times in 24 hours. She just doesn't. So since nursing was causing stress, I just cut down the number of times I did it and tried to do some good old fashioned letting go. That worked for a while until she cut her 2 top teeth, and now those teeth are just raking away and making nursing really painful, and today she even broke the skin. OUCH. No good.
But here's the thing: I suck at letting go. I suck at not caring. I really care. But really, it doesn't make sense, because I do NOT plan on nursing this girl on her wedding day or her first day of Kindergarten. At one point, I thought it'd be great to go to age 3 or even 2, but now, I don't want that-- I just want to not care. I want to not have all this emotional crap tied into this. I know in my head that it will end one day, and I'm really fine with that. Believe me, I would love to sleep through the night and get some time away and have some space and all that good shit. Maybe we'll be done in a month, and I'll look at nursing moms with longing and a little jealousy, or maybe I'll dig up my black boots and drink some cosmos and go dancing like it's 1999. Who knows?
And I also know that nursing is temporary and that my relationship with my child will last a lifetime-- and that our relationships with our kids are dynamic and always changing. But man, babies are pretty simple-- at least my daughter is. And I'm number one to her. The only word she says with any consistency is "mama"... And Chickie's first was "uh oh". Gotta love that irony, huh? And that brings me to something else-- my relationship with him is complicated. Maybe because HE's complicated-- it's clearly related to temperament-- but who knows. Maybe I don't want to let go of nursing because I don't know what comes next. When I stopped nursing Chickie, I was pregnant with SJL, so I knew what was coming next, but now, I don't.
Perhaps I just don't know what motherhood means outside of pregnancy and nursing-- perhaps I'm doing myself a huge disservice by making something simple into something too complicated. Perhaps I don't want to lose a special bond with my child that only I have.
And I know we're not done yet-- but it's just getting harder and harder. It seems like she doesn't know how to nurse without raking her top teeth, and it's just getting really painful, and I'm not sure if it's going to get better. So, do I keep fighting the good fight? I wish I knew how to flee or to let go and walk away peacefully, but I think I'm missing that gene.
3 comments:
Oh my sweet pea,
I wish I had some fabulous advice for you, but I am all too familiar with the anxieties and pressures of motherhood, and the last thing I want when I'm worried about something is for someone else to tell me not to worry about it. I know this situation is hard, but you and SJL will figure it out together. You are an amazing mother - SJL is lucky to have a Mama who cares so much! Oh, and PS, Carter's my boyfriend. Just so you know.
Hi Divya,
Just stumbled about your blog, and hear you about the emotional baggage that can sometimes overpower the actual situation...
The benefit from looking at it from the outside is that you see and understand the emotional baggage, but you don't feel it to the same degree. So with that foreword, here is my two cents of advice...
There is never a good time to wean, or never a perfect time to nurse until. And there is a limited amt of stuff we can do to elongate or shorten that X number of months..
Eg: My daughter is 21 months and has no intentions of weaning, even though we've been weaning for abt six months now... She, like Josie is my second, and probably last baby, but at this point I am sick of her touching, fondling, poking around in there and really want my life and boobs back...
About not knowing what is next for you - ah, let me tell you what is next for you - the light at the end of the tunnel is next for you. A bit more time to apply lip gloss, maybe even run a comb through your hair, a free hand here and there (instead of those eight other hands you've been needing all along), a few more free moments here and there as they finally PLAY BY THEMSELVES!!! So, don't fear, good times as a parent are ahead for you.
Sometimes it's easier to let go than fight a fight that is not a fight to begin with... Nursing is for the baby's (and mom's to some degree) benefit. When that benefit is up, then you just move on to a different wonderful phase - new words, independence, emerging personality, potty training (the joy!), the spontaneous hugs.
So don't worry, nursing until preschool or just for another week, you will be number one for a long long time to come. You've already sown the seeds for that as a loving, caring, giving wonderful mom with a sense of humor. It's ok to step back and see a few rewards here and there...
And last but not least, have a Manhattan, or Cosmo, it may lessen the burden of that emotional weight...
Wishing you lighter emotional weights, and lots of good times,
Inci
Hey, Div. I don't have any advice either...I may be in the same boat at some point. But I can just second the opinions of those around you in saying you are a great mother. The unknown future can be anxiety-producing, esp if you know your temperament is one to have a hard time letting go. But you are fabulous and, as Inci says, you'll be number 1 for quite some time...Although I have to say, I wonder the same things. D is only 16 months, but still nursing (3-4 times a day--and at this point, all in my bed for those times--morning, night and before naps--not usually in the "bright awake world"), and he loves it so much, learns from it so much (as he's so active while nursing), and I think--will he still see me in the same way once I stop nursing him? But our nursing situation isn't causing any pain or worries at the moment. YOU need to take care of yourself, and that is advice I can give, and advice you know already too. You are a champ for nursing as you have, and whatever happens, you are still a rock star. But I do want you to be able to nurse as long as you want, and are comfortable doing it...so the raking of the teeth on your poor breast...ugh, not cool. I don't know if you said this before, but did an LC have any advice on how to help with that? lots of love-
Post a Comment