Saturday, January 23, 2010

Food, again. Maybe.

Sweet baby girl is over 4.5 months old. Still growing fabulously. Still deliciously massive. Becoming more social and into her world. Grabbing things like nobody's business (no, I don't need a reminder about just how much hair I'm losing every minute.)

The next big thing that's coming down the pipe for her is, quite possibly, eating solid food. Yeah, remember that mess with her big brother? Ahh, so many agony-induced blog posts about why my child won't eat and what if he starves and how did I mess up my child, bla bla bla. Very real and very agony-induced. Thankfully, all's well that ends well: the kid is still a freak about food, but no; he didn't starve and is happy and healthy and quite possibly about average for height and weight. But, most importantly, I DON'T CARE. The biggest lesson I learned from Chickie's eating drama is to let it all go and trust my child's ability to eat and not starve. Our job as parents is to provide healthy food options and to create a positive eating environment; the rest is up to them.

But, no; that's not how I was raised. I'll spare you the Indian trifecta of the guilt, the food, and the mother (you can connect the dots however you want), but let's just say that I came about my philosophy on my own (and thanks in part to Ellyn Satter.)

So, at SJL's 4 month check-up last week, I asked her pedi about when I should introduce solids, especially given her brother's rough history with (essentially not) eating. Most sources that I trust recommend waiting til the baby is 6 months old (lots of reasons for this), and my pedi is in that camp, but she said that we could start a month or so early if we wanted, just to give her more exposure given Chickie's history, although she did say that children in the same family are often not alike when it comes to this kind of thing. So, it looks like we could start giving her some food in the next couple weeks. I really think she could be getting ready for it-- she often tried to grab my plate and/or pull it down off the table when she sits on my lap while I'm eating, and she's by far more oral than Chickie ever was (which isn't saying much, seeing as the kid was the most UN-oral kid on the planet. What would Freud have said??) and is already putting toys in her mouth.

I've been thinking a lot about my experience with Chickie and food and what role my neurosis played into it. Of course, I'm not blaming myself completely, but I'm just rethinking how I'll approach food with SJL. I've been reading a lot about the baby-led weaning approach to introducing solids, and I love it. No, it doesn't refer to weaning the baby off nursing; it's just a term for introducing solids per the baby's lead and interest. We did enough self-feeding with Chickie that I'm down with the goo and mess, but it'd be nice to bypass purees (if she's willing and can handle it) and do more finger food stuff earlier on, once her fine-motor skills can do it. I bet she'll be able to grab a spear of fruit in her fist and gum it pretty soon.

Also, I just don't have the ever-loving time or patience to make all my own baby food again. I really think I'm going to just give her whatever I'm eating or whatever I'm giving Chickie. After all, he eats pretty healthy foods and not a lot of crap (save the small mountain of french fries he ate while we were out to lunch today). We eat bananas, avocados, apples, etc. all the time at home as snacks, so I could easily put some on my finger and have her suck on it, or have her dip a teething biscuit in some avocado and suck on it. We'll see. But really, I just don't care. I know she'll eat. I think I'm going to throw all those "rules" out the window (e.g. introduce one food at a time and wait a few days before the next thing, etc.) and just go with it, provided I'm not giving her nuts, eggs, etc.

So, we'll see. Already, I can see how different their temperaments are: SJL is much more laidback, easy-going, and resilient than Chickie is or ever was. After all, she has never known life without her big brother getting in her face, trying to poke her eyes out, sitting on her belly, and yelling in her ears. The girl is definitely tough and just keeps on ticking.

Other updates:
1) Chickie officially and finally loves his new daycare. He runs into his classroom and hugs his teachers and never looks back. Insert huge sigh of relief here.
2) They filled my position (my former position) at work. I have to go clean out my desk within the next couple weeks. Lots of feelings about this. You got a couple hours for that one?
3) I hate my hair.
4) We're going on vacation for a week in a couple weeks to Florida. Can't wait. Gotta go to Target and pick up new bathing suit for Chickie (no, he'll never go in the water, but you never know).
5) One day I will sleep, eat pizza, and exercise again. Maybe or maybe not in that order.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I didn't know it had a fancy name, but I pretty much skipped the baby food stuff with both my kids. They both hated baby cereal and purees. They ate little pieces of food from our plates or teething crackers, cheerios, banana, avacado, etc. It worked for us. I think your doc is right about the kids being different. I have a feeling that food won't be as much of an issue for J, but you never know. Trust your instincts...you have good ones! Good luck!