My friend Dora had her second baby yesterday morning, so that officially makes me the next in line to give birth among the people I know. It's been raining babies lately, and 2 other friends of mine have given birth in the past 10 days-- amazing!
I will be 36 weeks tomorrow, so in a week and a day, This One will be full-term and officially a free-loader :) According to an ultrasound done this past week, she's about 6 lbs 3 oz, give or take 15%, and of course accounting for the fact that those measurements could be total b.s. Who knows? But either way, it's amazing to think that if the measurements are even close to accurate, she could be born very soon and do fine. But of course, we don't want her to come out quite yet :)
In so many ways, I can't wait for this baby to be born. I can't wait to meet her, to hold her in my arms, to kiss her soft cheeks and tell her that I love her. I can't wait for her to nurse and to fall asleep on my chest and do that funny grunt-y breathing that newborns do. I can't wait to be able to breathe again (yeah, she's really high and has her feet nicely wedged in my ribs!) I can't wait to drink a nice, cold beer on a warm evening (yeah, all I want is beer lately. Preferably a Sam Summer or a Blue Moon or really anything Belgian and wheat-y-- you know, the kind you put a lemon into).
But of course, I know what I'm getting into this time, and I'm not quite ready to wake up every 1.5 hours to nurse for 45 minutes, but who knows-- maybe I'll get a good sleeper this time :) I'm not ready to wince every time I try to sit down or stand up, but who knows-- maybe my recovery will be easier this time like so many women say it is the second time around. I'm not ready to have my already insane toddler FREAK OUT and try to kill my newborn, but who knows-- maybe he will surprise me.
The end of pregnancy is one crazy time-- so much excitement, so many unknowns, and so much to look forward to and worry about... and all without being able to drink :) And of course, you never know when the baby's coming-- it's not like you can say, "OK, I have X many days til the baby comes..." because you just don't know. I mean, you kinda know, and I think you have more of an idea the second time, but you never know for sure.
But soon enough, if everything goes according to plan, I'll be back here in front of this beloved machine with a sleeping newborn strapped to me while I type.
2 comments:
Shit, D, you make me want to be pregnant again. Thanks. Thanks a lot. GOOD LUCK!
Well said!!!!! I don't know what else to say. I loved reading this and teared up (of course because of my crazy pregnancy-nostalgia). And I admire how you are able to make time to write here, while still working and raising a toddler and being pregnant!! You are really what they call SuperMom! I hope you can also get a SuperBreak now and then!
Post a Comment