A good friend of mine is leaving JP and moving to Vermont. Our babies were born days apart, and we met each other when we were still newly post-partum and leaking milk everywhere and crying at the New Moms' Support Group. To celebrate our year+ with her, a bunch of us went out for dinner and drinks a couple nights ago. Dan and I have been dealing with a HORRID, gross cold (thanks to our gracious toddler who is SO great at sharing), and we spent the weekend taking turns sleeping and running around after Chickie, blowing our noses incessantly all the while. I started to feel better yesterday, so I decided to go out and try to enjoy myself.
Having good female friends is SO important-- I have been really lucky and have had amazing female friends ever since high school, but once Chickie was born, a lot changed, and I wasn't able to be in as close touch with people as I had wanted. I was emailing with a good friend of mine who recently moved to San Francisco, and she just moved in with a guy she met out there, and she was like, "I feel like I'm living this whole new life out here with someone that none of my old friends have met, and that's crazy." I kind of feel that way abou my life with Chickie-- there are so many people that I've known and loved for a long time, but they have never met Chickie and have NO idea what my life is like now. No. Freaking. Idea.
Having good female friends is SO important-- I have been really lucky and have had amazing female friends ever since high school, but once Chickie was born, a lot changed, and I wasn't able to be in as close touch with people as I had wanted. I was emailing with a good friend of mine who recently moved to San Francisco, and she just moved in with a guy she met out there, and she was like, "I feel like I'm living this whole new life out here with someone that none of my old friends have met, and that's crazy." I kind of feel that way abou my life with Chickie-- there are so many people that I've known and loved for a long time, but they have never met Chickie and have NO idea what my life is like now. No. Freaking. Idea.
I have been lucky enough to find a fabulous group of women in my neighborhood, and when we were out to dinner, I realized that I've gotten pretty close to them and value their friendship more and more. And, of course, it's so freaking rad to go out and have a drink and NOT talk about babies and breastfeeding and tantrums and sleep and bla bla bla.
3 comments:
That is great you went out with the girls! It is interesting to reflect on how our friendships and circles of friends change over time, or stay the same--or change, then go back as lives "catch up" with each other.
And I hope you all feel better soon and kick those lingering viruses!
oh man, girls night out is SO important! right after having my daughter (2nd kid), i called a dear friend who has one child - a 5yr at the time daughter - and we went out to a local bar/restaurant and drank a bottle of wine each and just vented. we didn't talk about baby stuff (boobie stuff, poopie stuff and bottle stuff), but we talked about LIFE.
having ADULT conversation is SO important! especially when you're used to baby talk, shitty diapers and washing bottles.
girls night out (notice i didn't say mama's night out...) is really fabulous and life-saving. amazingly, we did a pretty good job of staying off the baby topics, although when we talked about sex, of course the conversation steered towards how our kids were conceived. hmmmmmm.
Post a Comment