Friday, September 25, 2009

The Adventures of Vomit Girl

I have been meaning to write a blog post for a while now, but you know, I'm going to go ahead and play that "I have 2 kids now and lots of shit to do" card. Speaking of shit, it's AMAZING how much time I spend changing diapers... and it's amazing how much more gross toddler poops are now that I'm back to changing breastmilk poops (which don't smell like roses but really just smell like bad milk).

So, SJL has been reincarnated as Vomit Girl. The baby gives new life to the old college phrase "boot and rally", because that girl can lose her lunch really quickly! Yeah, it's like a fire hose (think "The Exorcist") and spews pretty indiscriminately. Thankfully, SJL is gaining weight really well, so it seems like we have a laundry problem (we had to buy upholstery cleaner a couple weeks ago) and not a health concern. Needless to say, it's annoying, and since I'm between maternity clothes and real clothes and have very few pants that fit, it sucks to have everything dirty at once.

But SJL is doing really well-- gaining weight, putting on a nice layer of baby chub, and becoming more alert. It's been wonderful to get to know her and to also become more familiar with her cries and needs and likes and dislikes. I have to say-- it feels weird and unfamiliar to interact with another baby and not instantly know what she wants AND to have her not be able to tell me what she wants... ahh, the benefits of having a verbal toddler! But after nearly 3 weeks, I'm feeling pretty confident about interpreting her signs and cues. We are officially in the gassy-pants phase that typically hits around 2-3 weeks, and I'm constantly wracking my brain to review what I've eaten to see if that could have upset her belly. So far, only tomatoes have been blacklisted-- it could be worse, but still, not eating tomatoes kinda sucks. Last night sucked much more, though-- I was up with her for more than half the night because someone decided to experiment and have something with tomato sauce in it for dinner...

Chickie is hanging in there. Thankfully, most of his bad behavior is directed towards us and not towards his sister, but he did swat her for the first time today. He did it while looking at us to see how we would react, and as Dan said to a friend, "Our reaction came swiftly and LOUDLY" so I think he got the message (as much as a toddler CAN get a message...)

The good news (well, another piece of it) is that I generally feel good emotionally (other than good old-fashioned sleep-deprivation that will rob you of your sense of humor and charming disposition) and have shed minimal tears during the past 3 weeks-- quite a welcome change compared to my recovery with Chickie. I haven't done a day on my own with the 2 kids, so I'm sure the tears will really flow then, but we'll see.

But both babies are asleep, and we all know what that means for me. Over and out til next time...

No comments: